Saturday, December 17, 2005

Sing along in the age of paranoia

Odds 'n' ends...

Well, the missing Dodge has been found. Turns out it was taken by Mr. Smithers, the owner of the haunted amusement park. And he would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for...

...oh wait, that's not it. What I meant was, my roommate took the license plates and his parking tag off in anticipation of having it towed to the junkyard. This turned out to be not such a good idea, because someone reported it as abandoned (even though we contacted three members of the condo board and told them what the situation was. Nobody is rushing forward to own up to it). The good news is that the insurance company offered him $2900 for the car (he paid $1800 for it a year ago). And the impound lot is right next door to the insurance adjusters' office.

No real news on the "projects" front, as the weather here has been terrible and is looking to get worse. The first rumblings of cabin fever have begun rattling around in my head, so I oughtta be in real good shape a few months from now. I wonder sometimes if my focus here should be more narrow and worry that I've gotten off-track lately, but I noticed a pretty good jump in traffic the past few weeks, so I guess I'm doing something right. I'll just keep rambling, let me know what you do/don't like.

Work continues on the studio, and I still fear losing my better judgment when it comes to buying gear. I decided to stop by the pawn shop the other day just to look around, and I left with a Fender combo amp, a Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz pedal, and a Danelectro Tuna Melt tremolo pedal. I rationalized these purchases as best I can: 1.) I only paid $90 for the amp, which is the same price as the crappy practice amps with half the power that I have been looking at; 2.) The Hyper Fuzz is a bad-ass pedal (think The Melvins and Deftones) that is no longer in production, and I got it for $39; and 3.) the guy threw in the Danelectro for free, since it had a knob broken off (I had it dissembled and rigged a new knob in 15 minutes). Still, I think I'm gonna have to skip the big guitar show next month. I instructed the guy at the pawn shop to physically remove me from the premises if I show up in the next 30 days.

Since I liked the picture at Drew's site so much, I ripped him off and created a collage of some of the pieces that will be coming together in the home studio. (Please ignore the fact that he has lots of cool vintage gear, and mine is all crappy new stuff).



...oh yeah, one more thing. I would never advocate music piracy on a public web page (even though mashups shouldn't be considered piracy, but that's what all the hubbub is about), but "a friend of mine" downloaded American Edit by Team9 and Party Ben on Dean Gray Tuesday, and assures me it's amazing - he's been listening to it all week. There is already a ton of info out there about the album and the controversy surrounding it, so I won't get into that here. Needless to say you should find a copy and download it before the record companies stomp it into oblivion...

5 comments:

Surly said...

Your'e collage is cool too, despite it's lack of a Big Muff.

Der_General said...

You must be psychic - I was the high bidder for one on eBay less than 3 hours ago! It was the only pedal from the dozens I owned before that I considered "essential".

Surly said...

I have a friend who used to own a music store. I bought a Big Muff and a Small Stone for one of my friends back around 93. They were both army green in the cool wooden boxes with the military looking writing on them. Word is they are made in the same factory that builds (or built) the MIG fighter planes. He stil has them both.
Not psychic, peraps a bit psychotic?

Lucky said...

I went to an new friend's house recently. Her husband and son had an awesome music room. The bastards had an Orange AD30 AND a vintage Twin reverb, as well as a pile of tasty guitars. I was a bit jealous.

As it is, I've got a decent set up of my own. No fancy amps, but I've got a couple of decent guitars, a bass and assorted keyboard-y instruments. I build my own effects, which is a horrible, addictive hobby.

Der_General said...

Word is they are made in the same factory that builds (or built) the MIG fighter planes.

I used to have one of the green Sovtek-made Big Muffs, I'm hoping the re-issue sounds as good. They are indeed still made at a factory in Russia - in fact, they are allegedly currently involved in a dispute with a Russian "real estate magnate" (read: organizatsiya) who is trying to take over the factory:
http://www.sovtek.com/releases/MoscowTimes_VacuumTubes_20051208.pdf