Wednesday, December 21, 2005

A journey of a thousand miles...

It must be hardwired into the men of my generation to start questioning your place in the universe at a certain age, because lately many of my friends (both online and in meatspace) seem to be doing just that. So, I thought I might as well post my thoughts on it.

Once upon a time, I graduated college and got a job. The job paid very little (like a couple bucks above minimum wage) but I liked it. I got to work with cool people doing cool stuff and got to play with lots of cool gear. Since the pay was lousy, a friend & I started doing web pages on the side (this was back in the days when knowing the *blink* tag was enough HTML experience for people to hire you on the spot). One particular business did so well with their web page that they offered me a whole lot of money to come aboard full time. At the new job, despite hearing "It must be AWESOME to work here!" about a hundred times a week, I was miserable. Management would ask me for solutions, and I would come up with them, along with elaborate research & detailed instructions on how to implement them. They would then proceed to do absolutely nothing, and blame me when the problems didn't magically disappear. I hated it and was giving myself an ulcer and hadn't slept for the better part of a year when some idiots decided to crash some planes into the World Trade Center, and I got laid off. Simple as that.

The loss of my job, along with some unexpected medical bills, pretty much served to decimate my finances and my credit rating. Know what? I wasn't any less happy. I sure wasn't thrilled about being broke, but I realized that I didn't need to make a ton of money to be happy. I re-enrolled in school and earned a masters' degree. Now, several years later, I have all these friends telling me "You have a masters' degree! You could easily get a better paying job, then you could get a bigger house, a new car, etc.". Then I could be as happy as they are - They, who have $220K houses and two new cars in the garage. They, who have mortgage payments bigger than my gross monthly income. They, who work on salary, go in at 6AM, and come home at 8PM too exhausted to play with their kids. They, who have 120-mile commutes every day. They, who work on commission alongside backstabbing assholes. No thanks.

I eventually did find another job that paid about the same as I was making before. I like it - I wouldn't say that I charge out of bed every day rarin' to get to work, but I genuinely don't mind going. I like what I do, and I like (most of) the people I work with. And the best part? - I leave work after 8 hours, I go home, and I don't think about it. I have enough time and money left over to work on my little projects. I might not be raking in the salary that some of my friends are, but life's too short to work a job you hate.

People always say "If you love what you do, you never work a day in your life". You have to be careful here - I've had friends who were fellow amateur photographers, and went out on their own to open their own studio. The result? Photography BECAME a job. One that they hated. I've known people who practiced music, mechanics, & art as a hobby, and when they turned it into a job, it got a whole lot less fun. Jobs, by nature, are always going to have co-workers and clients and deadlines and late nights and things that just make life a lot less fun in general.

I guess my point is, it's not where your money comes from, it's what you do. Do what makes you happy, even if you don't make any money at it. Even if it's at home, in your spare time. Even if nobody ever sees it (although the Internet now remedies that, to a degree). You might work at a pharmacy from 9 to 5, but maybe you're really a photographer. You might get paid to drive a forklift, but you're really a painter. I'm pretty sure the subcontractor who was pulling cable at work the other day was actually a gardener. Don't let your environment define you. And don't get too worked up over your job. I know the anxieties of "What if I lose my job? I have no savings - I won't be able to pay my bills! I'll be homeless! Living on the streets! I'll have to put on dark sunglasses and sell pencils from a cup!" Well, it happened to me, and I survived. Mom always said "Don't worry, things will work out alright" and I quietly rolled my eyes at her naivete. Turns out she's been around a lot longer than me, and she's a lot smarter too.


5 comments:

Surly said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
red said...

The questioning your life seems to bubble up around 22 or 23 and just grows and grows from there. I too gave myself wicked stomach problems from stress (and booze) right about the same time as you.

Your comments about not letting your work define you are absolutly true. I'm learning motorcycle mechanics but I'll never do it as my main job. Sure, I might make a few bucks here and there selling old bikes I've rebuilt but it's not a job. It's a hobby and there's a major difference.

My job now isn't the best but it pays the bills and lets me have some fun from time to time. But I plan on going back to school, not for the job force but for the education. Too many people put so much importance on getting a degree, a giant house and new junk. Screw that, the only thing you can do in life is make yourself and the others happy. I'm ranting now... sorry about that.

Der_General said...

red -

Funny, the job I was miserable at was a motorcycle/classic car dealership. Cool stuff to be around, but for some reason the powersports industry is full of people who have ABSOLUTELY NO CONCEPT of how to run a business or treat their employees - be careful.

I will be returning to school in a couple weeks, both to "update my job skills" and because it's something I'm genuinely interested in (comp. sci. stuff). My current employer has an excellent tuition reimbursement policy, so I figure, why not?

red said...

Getting into IT, that's funny too. I've been in the IT field off and on for a long time. Took a break to be an EMT but got laid off then decided to not get back into it. CompSci is a good field, tons of different jobs out there but you probably already know that.

I'm definitly not wanting to work in mechanics besides the hobby aspect. You're absolutley right, most people in the power sports industry can be either idiots, arseholes or both.

Gymi said...

I can guarantee that long hours and big money do not equal happiness. In the late 80's I owned a telemarketing company, I did enjoy the business but it took up all my time. My normal workday was from 9:00am to 11:00pm six days a week. I made tons of cash, but I had no time to enjoy the fruits of my labor. After getting out of the phone sales business, I have worked for the same employer for 19 years and work from 7 to 3. I am not chomping at the bit to get there everyday, but the pay and benefits are good and the free time I have is fantastic. I am way happier than I was then. I feel the same way about turning my hobby ( custom painting) into a full time business. I turn down way more work than I should, because being a former small business owner I know that if I did turn full time it would consume all my free time again and take all the fun that I get out of painting in the first place. Like the blog, keep up the good work.

Later, Gymi