Thursday, December 15, 2005

Lost: 1996 Dodge

So, Saturday before last, I ran out to Radio Shack (one of my thrice-weekly visits, as of late) to return something. It had been snowing/sleeting a little, but the roads seemed fine. Twenty minutes later, on the way home, they were terrible - I started sliding on a bridge, and I almost fell on my ass three times just trying to walk to my back door. I called my roommate and told him to be EXTREMELY careful on his way home from work.

Apparently he didn't take my advice, as he called me a little while later and said he slid off the road, and he needed me to call him a tow truck. Suddenly, I heard someone in the background say "He flipped it!" And my roommate said "I'll call you back" and hung up. I guess the story is: He slid off the road and came to rest right next to another guy, who had done the exact same thing minutes before - turns out he's one of our neighbors. While they're standing there figuring out what to do next, a car on the OTHER side of the highway (westbound) goes off the road, and flips over. My roommate & neighbor run across the highway to help them - the car was full of passengers, and one of them was extremely pregnant. While they are helping them, ANOTHER car goes off the road back in the eastbound lane. It also flips over, and LANDS DIRECTLY ON TOP OF MY ROOMMATES' CAR.

Needless to say, the car is totaled. The cops closed down the road, ambulances came to check everyone out (no one was badly hurt) and it took hours to sort everything out. Problem is, we can't find my roommate's car. It was sitting out front, now it's gone. The insurance company says they didn't tow it. The condo association says they didn't tow it. It definitely didn't go anywhere under its own power. Nobody would steal a totaled car, would they?

1 comment:

Surly said...

It sucks about the mulit-car pileup and I'm truly glad no none was hurt badly. But I can't help but laugh my ass off at someone stealing a wrecked car. Keep us posted as to it's whereabouts.