Friday, December 23, 2005

...and to all a goodnight

Just wanted to wish everyone Happy Holidays, have fun and be safe. Just some odds 'n ends before the brief Xmas hiatus:

-I may be posting an interesting postscript to the saga of the missing Dodge. Stay tuned.

-I haven't had a chance to plug in the Big Muff yet, so no reviews on the sound. I'm not too crazy about the looks - one of the things I liked about my old one was that it looked like it was built in a Soviet factory - it was ugly-ass green, made of riveted together plates of steel, and had three big, black, chunky knobs on it. I could practically picture a guard in an ushanka with a Kalashnikov over his soldier, walking out on to factory floor after the fall of the Soviet Union and announcing, "No more tanks! You build these now! For American who plays the rock-and-roll!" (Why do the Russian stereotypes that live in my head only speak broken English?) The grey-faced, babushka-clad women would never miss a beat, and would start solemnly assembling the new contraptions for the Imperialist westerners. I'm amazed it wasn't labeled in Cyrillic, for God's sake. The new one looks too "modern" (albeit a Communist-bloc occupant's idea of modern). And the finish is some kind of textured powdercoating that looks durable - too durable. One of the cool things about my old one was that it was all dented and scarred and half the paint was missing. It really added points to my punk-rock cred. Maybe I'll tie the new one to my bumper and drive around for a while.

Since there's a complete lack of content in this post, I'll point out two new (to me, anyway) bands that I've been digging lately - Straylight Run (coolest namesake ever) and Hawthorne Heights. Check 'em out.

No comments: