Friday, December 02, 2005

One-armed paper-hanger...

Sorry for the lack of conetent lately, I have been running around doing the Xmas shopping thang (just about done now) and working on a good bit of tinkering at home, the fruits of which will hopefully make it here before too long. I am also trying to get registered at the local college for some classes next quarter. In lieu of any actual news (and because Surly requested it) here are some random pics of Das Bus (which is actually kind of depressing right now - it won't start and I can't get motivated enough to go outside in 20-degree weather to work on it). Ah well...

Ah, the clean, classic lines of a refridgerator box...

No, the Westfalia decal and the rear emblem aren't correct for the year. I don't care, I like 'em.

The huge factory steering whell makes for a tight fit with us corn-fed Midwestern boys, so a smaller wheel from California Import Parts was added.

Swanky new seat covers go nicely with the zebra dash cover in the above pic. Can you sense the theme I'm going for?

She didn't come with a spare or a mount...

...so one was added...


...along with a snazzy cover (which was later vandalized by one of the little darlins in the neighborhood). They also stole my rear emblem and tried to rip off my country code sticker. Nice.

3 comments:

Surly said...

Why is it you don't see many late model busses in black? Looks nice! thanks for the pics. My buddy has 2 sportsmobiles and a 60 ragtop bug. The Sportsmobile is a late model pop-up camper bus but done by someplace here in Indiana, instead of a Westy. My Old Man has a Super that we will be working on soon. I'll put up some pics after X-mas.

Der_General said...

I don't believe black was offered as a factory color on later models- the paint code says it was chrome yellow from the factory. I think it was painted black because that's what was cheap and/or on the shelf. Unfortunately it would be way too much work to return to the factory color (it was stripped down and painted inside & out) but someday I might two-tone it, with white or that cool VW sealing wax red above the beltline...

Surly said...

Ooooohhh sealing wax red! I'm working on an old bicycle and I'm trying to find a color scheme and I was thinking of a maroon. But sealing wax red! Doesnt that sound great? Those VW colors had cool names.
http://surlycamera.blogspot.com/2005/09/doesnt-fjord-blue-just-sound-nice.html