Sunday, November 06, 2005

I got nuthin'

Well, I got squat done this weekend, due to pulling some muscles in my neck/shoulder area that sends an exquisite pain shooting through me whenever I raise my arms or turn my head to the left. Thing is, I don't even remember how I did it - I don't recall having done anything particularly strenuous in the past few days, I just woke up and rolled over and YEOWCH!!! As my Dad used to say, "It's hell to get old, boy".

I did get the Mac hooked up, and am learning the in & outs - it's a very strange thing for me to feel out of my element when it comes to using a computer. Now, I don't claim to be a guru or anything, but computers have been a big part of my life for the past 25 years - from junior high, through college, and into my work. I am literally surrounded by dozens of computers at my desk at work:



Welcome, my friend, welcome tooo the machineeeeeen...


I put about as much actual thought into using a computer as a mechanic does when using a wrench, or a janitor does when using a broom - that is, none at all. It's just a tool that helps me do what I want to do. It gives me a whole new perspective to be apprehensive. I will do my best to remember it next time I find myself losing patience with someone I am trying to teach.

It's mostly fiddling around right now, and the stuff that's got me spooked is the little stuff - no taskbar at the bottom of the screen, minimize/maximize button in the wrong corners, etc. It will all work out with time. Oh, and I just noticed that the handy little "edit html" tools in Blogger are missing with the Mac web browser, so I'll have to try getting Firefox working again (I tried last night, but there's some bugs in the Mac version and I lost patience with it). Check back later in the week, there's more entertaining stuff coming, I promise. I snapped a few truly frightening "before" pictures of the office yesterday - I mean, seriously, you will lose all respect for me. Hopefully I can redeem myself with the "after"...

No comments: