Thursday, April 29, 2010

Bent All Out Of Shape

So when I bought my Kaywoodie Canadian on an impulse, I went online and started researching Kaywoodies, since I knew practically nothing about them.  While browsing their shape charts, I came across the Chinrester:


I was immediately taken with this oddball pipe.  It's design is completely superfluous - there are many other pipes you could buy that are a more accommodating shape for a "clencher".  It seems like a solution in search of a problem.  But it's also one of those things that's oddly elegant in it's functionality - like a last-minute fix that a frustrated pipe smoker came up with using a blowtorch or a heat gun, and it worked so well he decided to sell 'em.

I started browsing eBay, and got outbid on some Kaywoodies, but wound up finding a Yello-Bole version for a song:



(Kaywoodie & Yello-Bole were bought by the same firm in 1955, so this is essentially the same pipe, sold under a different brand).  I couldn't really tell from the auction posting, but the pipe is barely used - it looks like it's had maybe one partial bowl smoked in it.  Not a bad find for ten bucks...

No comments: