Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Does He Bleed Black & Gold?

As a devout Steelers fan and motorcyclist, this made me cringe:

PITTSBURGH, June 13 — The condition of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger of the Steelers, injured in a motorcycle accident Monday while not wearing a helmet, was upgraded today from serious to fair condition, and doctors at Mercy Hospital said he could be released later this week... Doctors confirmed his injuries: fractures to his upper and lower jaws; a mild concussion; a fractured nose; fractured facial bones; multiple head lacerations; multiple abrasions; two lost teeth; and several chipped teeth.

I'm a big Roethlisberger fan not only because he's the Steeler's quarterback, but also an Ohio native and a fellow MAC alum, so my first reaction was concern. My second reaction was: what a dumbass. You go 13-0 your rookie year, pocket $12 million dollars in bonuses, win the superbowl your second season, and you go out and ride the fastest sportbike made WITHOUT A HELMET!?!?! I'd wear a helmet in the shower everyday if my health was worth $12 million dollars. Sheesh.

On the personal front, I didn't get a chance to get a battery for the bike since my roommate has started moving out this week and I've been helping him with that. On the bright side of things, I had a date last weekend that went great - we're getting together again this weekend to see Gone With The Wind. (If you're lucky enough to have any historic theaters in your area, lots of them have summer movie festivals. Check 'em out and see what's playing this summer).

2 comments:

Surly said...

I've heard lots about his bike and his lack of helmet. Not one person has said "Those of you who turn left in front of motorcyclists should also get some head trauma"

Der_General said...

Well yeah, that goes without saying - the unfortunate reality is that people turning left in front of a bike must account for 90% of the accidents I hear about. Whenever I hear about a bike accident anymore, I just automatically assume that's what it was (unless it was some dumbass acting squidly on a literbike he had no business riding in the first place.)