Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Alligator Lizards In The Air

I sitting at a stoplight on the drive home from work the other day when a bright red motorcycle going through the intersection caught my eye - it was a Honda Pacific Coast, a bike I've always had a soft spot for. As much as I dig the vibe of V-twin cruisers and the unapologetic impracticality of built-for-speed literbikes, there's something cool about a bike that is built to be completely utilitarian above everything else. The Pacific Coast was a bike for guys who thought the ST1100 was too flashy - a bike that was as reliable as a stone axe, able to commute to work and back and stop for a couple of bags of groceries on the way home. It was, well, the Honda Civic of motorcycles. Most of the guys you see riding them in the Midwest are the truly hardcore - the guys who don't even own a car, just an electric vest and a one-piece textile suit. Plus, they're so freakin' ugly that they're kinda cool - like a prop from a bad sci-fi movie. They look like they should be sitting in the parking lot next to a 6000 SUX.

One bit of good news on the personal front- I found out that both the father & the brother of the lovely young lady that I've been seeing are avid riders, so I'm unlikely to get any friction about that. You know, one less thing...

No comments: