Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Sweet Irony...

So of course after my last post I get a killer cold (my first in 3 or 4 years) and feel like crap. Still haven't missed work, though. On top of that, meine Mutter is in the hospital recovering from back surgery, so I'll be spending the lion's share of my time at the hospital this week (maybe I can get them to pump me full of some antibiotics while I'm there).

Had some excitement last night - I was low on groceries, so I went to McDonalds for dinner (I'm not proud, I was hungry). The register monkeys at McD's are their usual brilliant selves, so nothing was ready - after I paid, they asked me to pull forward and they would bring it out to me (no biggie). This particular McDonalds is set up kind of strange, and there's a "loop" around the building since cars have to enter on the opposite side of the building from where the drive through is and circle around. I can't pull up too far, or I'll be in the middle of the loop. Some guy In a full-size truck pulls up behind me and pays for his food, and apparently I'm not pulled up far enough for him to get out. Now, my natural reaction in this situation would be to give my horn a short *beep* to let the person know I needed out, and then give them a friendly wave as I left. Not this guy - he goes absolutely apeshit. Lays on the horn and starts screaming at the top of his lungs "GET YOUR MOTHERF*CKING CAR OUT OF THE WAY, YOU @$$HOLE!!!" I thought he was overeacting a tad, to say the least. I pulled forward to let him out, and I'll admit to giving him a few not-so-friendly hand gestures as he left. About five whole seconds later, the McDonalds employee hands me my food and I pull into traffic - right behind Mr. Hypertension. As I'm driving down the road, I realize that we're both probably going to the same development, since there aren't many residential areas in my neck of the woods. Right after we pull into the development, he whips his car into a parking spot, leaps out, and hurls his soda on my car. I can't see anything, so I stop and get out of the car. He runs up on me and says "WHY THE F*CK ARE YOU FOLLOWING ME?!?" I calmly tell him "I live here too". This confuses him a bit, and he says, I... I... I DON'T CARE! WHY WERE YOU RIDING MY ASS?!?" Again, I calmly tell him that at no time was I inappropriately close to his car. He yells,"BULL$H!T! I'VE GOT MY 7-MONTH-OLD DAUGHTER IN THE CAR, @$$HOLE!" My first thought was "Well, maybe you should have thought of that before you started yelling "motherf*cker" at complete strangers" - I was just going to give him a piece of my mind, but there's a lot of crazy SOB's out there that wouldn't hesitate to take more drastic measures. I kept my mouth shut, though, because at this point there were about 7 or 8 guys running up the middle of the road at me - he must have been calling everyone he knew in a two-mile radius from his cell phone on the way home. One of the guys said "Just get in your car and drive away, man" - it honestly didn't sound like a threat, I think he realized as well as I did that I wasn't going to be able to reason with the guy, and the longer I stayed the better the chances were of me being on the receiving end of a world-class ass kicking. I sighed, threw up my arms in frustration, and got in the car and drove off. I called the police when I got home and they sent some officers out to hear my complaint, they said they would look for the truck and run the tags to see if the owner had any outstanding warrants, but beyond that there wasn't too much I could do - just call them back if I have any trouble. Luckily for me 1.) I don't think they saw where I live, and I park in a communal lot that doesn't really give any clues as to which unit is mine, 2.) I work odd hours, so the chance of running into the guy are slim, 3.) my next-door-neighbor is a cop, and 4.) I have pretty obvious surveillance cameras & motion detectors at the front & back of my house (what self-respecting computer nerd doesn't have a box full of X10 stuff?) Seriously, though, why do people have to be such assholes?

1 comment:

red said...

Gotta love drivers that freak out when they're in the wrong! I was driving behind a guy that was doing 25mph under the limit! So I pass him once the NO PASSING ZONE ends. He starts riding my ass, honking and flashing his brights. We (my buddy and I) make a wrong turn down a culdesac and the guy whips his car sideways and blocks us in. He gets out and starts screaming at us because we "almost killed him" and were "reckless driving".

people... too many of them.