Thursday, October 20, 2005

WTB: Base of operations

Living on a single income with a mortgage, there isn't a whole lot of extra cash for luxuries (and I'm still begging off with the student loan people). However, I have decided that as much as I love condo livin', I need more room for my projects. I am casually looking for a few acres on the outskirts of town that I can put a pole barn or a Steelmaster building on (or maybe not). I don't want to finance the land so it will probably take me a few years to afford it, but soon after that you may well hear rumblings on the news about a "compound", and my name will undoubtedly be married to phrases such as "ascent to leadership" and "month-long siege".

I went riding the other day on orders from Lucky, since he was bedridden and unable to do so himself. I'm glad I did, as it was a beautiful evening and the bike will soon be going into hibernation - although, for some reason, I am currently engaged in negotiations to add another to the stable, although I'm sure it will need some modifications to make it more my style.

Mr. Jalopy had a great post the other day about the Apple II that made me nostalgic for my own early days of computing - after a short-lived interest in the TI 99/4a that my parents recieved as a promo with the purchase of wall-to-wall carpeting for the upstairs, I spent a summers' worth of lawn-mowing profits on a decked-out Commodore C64 that was cast off by a neighborhood rich kid who got an Amiga for Christmas. (I still have a closet full of Commodore gear that was given to me years later, still in the original boxes, that I haven't had the time or energy to hook up yet). Seeking a quick fix, I downloaded Frodo, which promptly borked my Treo. (To be fair, it's been testy ever since I tried installing some web-based Hotsync software the other day). I eventually got it working, but I can't get it to see the .d64 images - but just bringing up the console is badass. Takes me back to Grade 9 all over again. Too bad I don't have those old phone-book-sized Basic manuals anymore...

2 comments:

Broadband Guy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
darrylant said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.