Monday, October 24, 2005

Metamotopost

Much thanks to Lucky for the linkage today. His previous post about scooters made me laugh - in the past few years, there has been a resurgence in the scooter scene in my area. (In my old neighborhood, I always used to see a local skinhead riding a beautiful vintage Vespa, dripping with chrome). You'll be out riding and suddenly they'll surround you like a swarm of black flies, then *poof* they're gone. If ninjas were still around, they'd ride scooters.

I worked at a motorcycle dealership for several years, and every once in a while, under the pretense of "we need to re-arrange the showroom", we would move every single bike & ATV outside and then put them back. Of course, all the employees would have to take a few laps on each one, "just to make sure they're running okay". ("Wouldn't want the carbs to get all gummed up, wouldja Boss?") I got to ride just about every bike that you were likely to find on the market from 1998 - 2002 - Hayabusas, GSXR 1000's, custom choppers, TL1000's, Honda Blackbirds, Goldwings, you name it. You know what got the most use during those sessions? The scooters. Specifically, the Zumas, which we had in abundance. There's nothing more ridiculous yet more fun than six grown men having "scooter drags" across a 2-acre parking lot (except maybe the "longest indoor ATV wheelie" contests that would happen occasionally in the warehouse).

Lucky also mentioned Still Life with Cranston Ritchie, another blog I dig. (The saga of the garagemobile has been tremendously entertaining). Surly has an affection for SOHC Hondas, which I can relate to - my first "real" bike was a 1981 CB650 (complete with a funky Windjammer fairing). I had designs of turning it into a cafe racer, but alas, it needed more time and attention than I could give it. (One thing I've learned in years of dealing with heaps: No matter how attached you are to a vehicle, if it develops the dreaded "persistent intermittent electrical problems", just walk away. It will suck your wallet & your lifeforce dry. (Unless it's a British bike - then the wallet-sucking is normal)). I sold it (and boxes and boxes of spare parts) to a mechanic (the real kind, not a joker with a wrench like me) who seemed pretty capable, so hopefully it lives on. I think there might still be some pics on my parent's computer, I'll have to check next time I'm over there...

1 comment:

Surly said...

I glad you dig the garagemobile. It's been a heck of a ride. So to speak.