Sunday, May 14, 2006

No Recess

My bathroom sink was stopped up last week, so I poured some drain opener down it, but that didn't work. Later on in the day I went to the hardware store and bought some industrial-strength drain opener and a drain auger. I put some of the wicked cautic drain opener down the sink and go to work with the drain auger. It starts to drain after a few minutes, so I was happy - until I hear a funny noise and notice that there's water leaking onto the floor. I open the cabinet under the sink, and realize that I punched a hole in the P-trap with the drain auger. After much cursing I get everything cleaned up and think, "Okay, I've seen every episode of Ask This Old House, I can handle replacing a P-trap". I go downstairs and get the Stillson wrench and start taking the pipes apart, and they're so old that they're literally crumbling. After a couple more trips to the hardware store I get sick of messing with it and decide I'll just call the plumber tommorrow (Luckily I have another bathroom I can use). So later on I'm sitting around watching that David Blaine special. It gets right to the end of the show and I hear an odd noise from the kitchen - I get up and turn on the light and see water pouring down the wall from my ceiling. I run upstairs to the bathroom and see water pouring out of the sink cabinet. I start throwing towels down as fast as I can, and notice that they are rapidly changing colors. It seems that the plumbing systems are connected for the adjoining units in my complex - my neighbor noticed her sink was running slow, so she decided to pour bleach and hot water down the drain, where it proceeded to run directly out onto my bathroom floor and down into the kitchen. On top of that, one of the cats must have gotten into some of the water that dripped onto the counter and proceeded to crap and throw up all over the house, and my hands reeked of bleach for two days. Now I'm gonna have to rip all the carpet out of the bathroom and put down tile or something. Sheesh.

The only good part of the past week was that I got to spend all day Saturday with my Mom to celebrate Mother's Day. While all my sisters ever bring to her house are minivans full of screaming kids, I took a different approach:



Two dozen roses - no wonder I'm the favorite.

No comments: